Social Market Foundation Childcare Scheme

Share your views on the latest government consultations or look for support on a topical issue.

Moderators: Kirsty_4Children, Sue_4Children, Dan_4Children, Ciaran_4Children, Pauline_4Children

Social Market Foundation Childcare Scheme

Postby Dan_4Children » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Interesting new idea from the Social Market Foundation on childcare payment scheme, anyone else had seen it on the news? Can families really afford to store up debts to pay off in future?

Re: Social Market Foundation Childcare Scheme

Postby ProCEEd » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:57 pm

The 'Childcare loans scheme' article caused quite a stir in the Guardian the pther day (http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/fe ... foundation).

Suggesting that parents borrow '£10,000 upfront to cover the costs of care' is ludicrous. It is a debt trap for families who may so far be debt free and the straw that breaks the camel's back for families that are already struggling.

Whoever thought that paying parents to be full time mums or dads, able to care for and enjoy their young children, was not a good idea, must surely have changed their minds by now.

Re: Social Market Foundation Childcare Scheme

Postby Mikee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:03 am

It seems crazy to add another debt to families in this 'pay later' culture! If it is run on the lines of student finance it will mean a huge mountain of forms to fill in. In my experience of tackling student finance forms it is not an easy task! - just when you think you have filled in the last form they send you another! I wonder whether this will be the same with this scheme? I also wonder how much this will cost to administer?

Return to Consultations and Hot Topics