Learning Styles

Share your views on the latest government consultations or look for support on a topical issue.

Moderators: Kirsty_4Children, Sue_4Children, Dan_4Children, Ciaran_4Children, Pauline_4Children

Learning Styles

Postby murphy1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:55 am

Does anyone know if there is a book/information available on the 'learning styles' that will be in the revised EYFS?

Re: Learning Styles

Postby LisaJConstable » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Good question - however I don't know the answer! I was at the nursery world conference last week and Jan Dubiel did state that before practitioners begin to plan for, and assess children we should be aware of our own learning styles - I recently found out that this does affect the way which we 'teach'. I am not aware of any recent literature in relation to young childrens learning methods but this may be because they have not yet found a preference and we should therefore provide for all methods?

Postby LisaJConstable » Tue May 01, 2012 4:44 pm

I have just been on some EYFS training and the following book has been recommended in relation to learning styles. 'How children learn' by Nancy Stewart with foreword by helen Moylett. Hope that helps.

Postby liz360 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Lisa, I think you have hit the nail on the head - that within our 'enabling environments' we should be giving opportunities for all kinds of learning. I'm sure that, given the emphasis on the different styles in the new curriculum, someone will publish something wise and useful soon!

Return to Consultations and Hot Topics